Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Delayed Rescue!

It took 2 hours for the ambulance to come, 4 hours for the private plane, and my cousin was only at a decent hospital 10 hours, later!


... First week of the year, and already a tragedy had to come us. My cousin Edson, who is the oldest son of my mother's older brother, had a car accident in the city of Benguela, Angola. It was 6am when it happened, we immediately had a phone call from some cousins of his that were also part of the trip. They said that he needed to be evacuated from the province he was, because they didn't have the recurses to keep him at the hospital.
> How can a hospital in a city that will be the home for the ACN (African Championship of Nations) not have a hospital with resources, what if the footballers get injured?
I heard that at some point my family asked for ice because my cousin was swollen and they didn't even have that! ... that is scary!
What also caught my attention was the fact that, in order for us to get to my cousin, to rescue him, of what was a fatal accident, given the fact that an 18 year old boy passed away, my family had to pay 12.000$ for a plane to get there, because the health system of the country is not responsible for it, it's more, without the 12 thousand, the plane wouldn't take of and a person, in this case my cousin, could die. And even after the plane was paid, the time they took in between the accident, doctor, pilot (that came reading a newspaper), co-pilot arrivals was enough time to have the worst happen, it took 6 hours to have them get to my cousin, only one hour of flight, and they call it: MRI (Medical Rescue International). Until the time he got to the hospital he was to receive first aid, scan, examinations and all, more than 8 hours had gone thru. Now tell me, how could we not have people constantly dying like crazy in this country?
Please, change this in Angola or i don't think the other african nations will leave happy after all.

Happily my cousin Edson is finally out of danger, and i wish him really fast recovery. We love You!

Soundtrack: Hotel California, by: Edson Azevedo


No comments: