Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Saved the Last Dance Africa (R.I.P.)


I know, seems like the whole "black continent" died... no isn't... but its a person with a talent bigger than the continent and unfortunatly with this malific disease than in it takes over...
Today i woke up with this terrible new... Africa, my coreographer, passed away! He had AIDS!
WOW (as a deep breath)... I met Africa... in Angola, he is angolan... i was there promoting my first cd, and one morning in the hotel door-room, Africa: a tinny black man with blond hair and blue contacts! came to me, saying that he runned a dance group called Fitness (the best) and that would love to dance for me cuz he loved my songs... oh wow... i thought: "perfect"... I needed dancers, i was going to open the show for Sisqo (and you know how Sisqo dances)... i had to keep the vibe up for him... I had only one day till the show... he showed up right in time... we set a rehearsal time and at 5pm there i was with his 12 dancers, boys and girls... The show was my best show was the best openning i had up till now... i cried in that show, cuz i just couldnt believe it... everytime i see the tape its just like... WOW! Africa was a "Queen", he knew he was good, he would push the dancers to their limits, and during the shows he had to have the spotlight! Seeing my shows tapes, Africa always had to do something, a piruet, a double turn... in front of me... sometimes i would get upset, several times people told me... you have to tell Africa to stop doing this, he is not the "Star"... but he was, cuz you know, i sing, but the dance in shows is important, and sometimes even the concept was done by him... with his great energy, snob, fabulous... very elegant... demanding, but always for the best! I love love his attitude! We worked together through my whole Openning Tour... with Eve, Busta Rhymes, Shaggy, in the show Best of Angolan Hip-Hop (i have a crazy story about this one)... i mean... me and Africa did so many shows together, he became my coreographer and his dancer my dancers! Africa... you are missed and you will be eternely in my heart! You made your story... i have the proove of it!
I hate to cry... but now i just cant help it... Africa was gay, and he had Aids, but he was ashamed of it... he got very sick with malaria, he was in the hospital, but he never let anybody know, in places like Angola, if you dont pay, they dont attend you, i feel very sad, to know that such great person was there sick, abandonned, just cuz he was affraid of saying who he really was! I hope this serves to you as an example... please... if someone really loves you, they will accept you as you are, so dont be affraid of saying it, we all have to know who is the real people in our lives... so things like this will not happen again!
We have to stop being Cowards!

Africa, your dance steps... will be used... forever, as long as i can move!

Thank You my Friend!
Rest in Peace!

Soundtrack: Before the Night is Over, by: Paulo Pascoal (he loved this song, and it was the first he ever danced for me)

1 comment:

sammyray said...

Africa, the world killed you.

You did not die of AIDS. You died from something that humans have always died from - MALARIA.

People are saying that you died of AIDS and not malaria to perpetuate a lie that will cause the deaths of other innocent people like you. Like you, these people are terrified and ashamed of something that will never hurt them - unless they let it hurt them.

Africa the world killed you because they categorized you and used you to make money for them. If you took those medications, Africa, then they made a profit off of your life. And once you died, they used you as a statistic to scare other people into dying. Then they profit even more.

I am so sorry for your death. You were a beautiful person like all people. You had a light and an energy that is extinguished forever.

Africa, so many talented people like you have died needlessly; you should all be alive with us, still bringing the world joy.

Perhaps you are better off. This world, full of corruption and lies, does not deserve what you had to offer.

www.aliveandwell.org

www.duesberg.com